Lubuntu without X11: fixed suprisingly fast?The story begins very classically. On Wednesday I presented some examples of Dirichlet Process during our Bayesian Reading Group seminar. When I turned on my Asus notebook I cannot see the familiar X11/lightdm login. Everything which I was able to accomplish was to switch Ctrl+Alt+F6 to console login. There work everything smoothly.
I took another notebook and went to school.With a dread of setting up Nvidia drivers I postponed fixing X11 on my notebook till Friday.
On Friday I learned several points in very fast way. I consider it luck:)
- I learned that I do not have any /etc/x11/xorg.conf (and that it's not such a problem)
- That I can run lightdm from commandline and it works
- However I can login with another user login (my girlfriends), but I can not login to mine account through the lightdm graphical login
- I can not change from lightdm launched from commandline to another terminal via Ctrl+Alt+F4
- However when I launch it under screen I can see the error output or I can log it:)
- Then it was simple, I figure out the lightdm does not start because it can not delete .XAuthority file at my $HOME directory. So I deleted it. It fixed the problem.
- I do not know nothing about X11. I should change it.
- It's always good to have another test user at your computer
- Logging is the common way how to debug and I like Linux because it logs almost everything.:)